Allegany High School Band Student Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Allegany High School Band Student Forum

Cumberland, Maryland

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cadets Warmup Videos

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

Number of posts : 35
Name : Chris Moore
Instrument/Section : Staff
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Cadets Warmup Videos Empty
PostSubject: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos EmptyThu Jun 28, 2007 11:26 am

I would like you all to check out a video I found on youtube of the cadets drum and bugle corps. It showcases their slow roll technique. There are both good and bad things we can learn from this, but mostly good. Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htCR_wDE90o for the video.

Good:

-Straight leg technique - There is a slight bend at the knee on the and counts (meaning when both legs are beside each other). The legs stay straight on the downbeats (like scissors that are about to cut).

-Notice upper body posture - Pull up from the rib cage to create separation of upper and lower body. This, along with the roll in the foot, absorbs shock and keeps the "feet out of the sound" (something you will hear over, and over again if you don't fix it early!)

-Horn carriage - (mainly for brass). Lots of space between the hands and the instrument; very solid, firm look; lots of space between elbows - the angle your elbows create should be MORE than 90 degrees, like and obtuse angle.

-Head is elevated at a slight angle - this projects the horn to about a 15 degree angle. This angle will change based on the height of the judging box at each individual stadium.

-Guiding - Lines were perfectly straight; Everyone probably guides to the middle person. At this tempo, that should be top notch with any group.

-Etiquette - NOBODY was talking. The cadets are particularly awesome at not talking during rehearsal or warm-up. They have a very intense, but relaxed focus.. (hint, HINT)

Not as Good as it should be:

-Step-off - It is harder to step-off as a group at this slow tempo. The important thing is to sub-divide the beat in your head (or sometimes audibly)

-There is one group near the end of the video that was unsure about what count they were on. This caused confusion, and horns came up at different times. However, they came to an agreement (without even saying a word or turning their heads) before the step-off. If this were a show, they would have gotten credit for "recovery." Recovery is where a mistake is made, but is quickly fixed. Judges NOTICE these things. It's their jobs!

I will be posting more videos like these showcasing different marching techniques as well as some horn arc stuff.
Back to top Go down
aarontrumbule

aarontrumbule

Number of posts : 25
Name : Aaron
Year In School : Junior
Instrument/Section : Drum Major/Saxophone
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Yeah, watch the whole dressing lines thing too, Chris
Back to top Go down
https://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583533318
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

PostSubject: Re: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 5:53 pm

what do you mean? dressing was fine, from what i saw at least.
Back to top Go down
aarontrumbule

aarontrumbule

Number of posts : 25
Name : Aaron
Year In School : Junior
Instrument/Section : Drum Major/Saxophone
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 1:57 pm

no, for us. We cant dress lines in warmup at all. Its an alco thing not a Cadets thing.
Back to top Go down
https://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583533318
Footie

Footie

Number of posts : 63
Name : Zach Foote
Year In School : Sophmore
Instrument/Section : Tuba/Trombone
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 1:04 pm

oh yeah id love to add this. can we not put the tubas to where we have to dress to our blind side. i would love to actually be able to dress. last year i had to dress to the left but the tuba is there and i cant see that way. i got yelled at for not dressing right.
Back to top Go down
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

PostSubject: Re: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 3:44 pm

Footie wrote:
oh yeah id love to add this. can we not put the tubas to where we have to dress to our blind side. i would love to actually be able to dress. last year i had to dress to the left but the tuba is there and i cant see that way. i got yelled at for not dressing right.

i thought your alls tubas were on the right shoulder. i mean, drum corps tubas are left shoulder, but i thought yours were left.. well, you have to look through the instrument's tubing. you will have to dress to your "blind" side in the show, so, get used to it.
Back to top Go down
Footie

Footie

Number of posts : 63
Name : Zach Foote
Year In School : Sophmore
Instrument/Section : Tuba/Trombone
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 10:48 am

our tubas do sit on the left shoulder, and i have tried looking through the tubing. its not that easy when the tuning slides sit right next to your face.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cadets Warmup Videos   Cadets Warmup Videos Empty

Back to top Go down

Cadets Warmup Videos
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Allegany High School Band Student Forum :: Sections :: Hornline-
Jump to: