Allegany High School Band Student Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Allegany High School Band Student Forum

Cumberland, Maryland

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers

Go down 
+12
nell
Footie
tleirich
short1
bkmaslow
saraz.
Chris Moore
aarontrumbule
diamonddress
SteveM
alcojedimaster
Dan the Man
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dan the Man

Dan the Man

Number of posts : 29
Name : Daniel Nelson
Year In School : 2006-2010 (Sophmore)
Instrument/Section : Drumline (Bass 2)
Registration date : 2007-06-30

Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers Empty
PostSubject: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 12:41 am

Hmm, well, I just had the bright idea to tell everyone why we SHOULDN"T be the Allegany Campers, and should be something else. First off, its a confusing name. When you say Campers, you think of boy scouts in there little uniforms, putting up a tent and starting a fire. What you don't think of is an indian, or, more politically correct, a native american. It leaves people to be somewhat confused on what our mascot is. At least a name such as the Allegany Indians would be a little better. Second, having a 'Camper' as a mascot to help you win b-ball games or score a touchdown is just plain wrong and stupid. Its at times like these that i wish we were the Alco Ganstas, or the Alco Demons, something agressive and powerful. Finally, the mascot is a bit old and outdated, and i think it should be time to get a knew, better one. One that stands out in the crowd, and has people wondering "Are they really that good." My personal favorites are Alco Pirates or Alco Dragons, something dangerous, deadly, and feared by all. I truely think that we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers, and that we should move on to something of greater and better powers!!!
Back to top Go down
alcojedimaster

Number of posts : 8
Name : Mr. White
Year In School : Teacher
Instrument/Section : Staff
Registration date : 2007-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 12:26 pm

First Dan, I recommend that you read the history behind the name campers in the book Allegany: Portrait of an American High School. Secondly, at the end of this school year, I got a call at school from a journalist in California who is writing a book on mascots and school nicknames for colleges. He is developing a list of the 100 most unique names/mascots for high schools and colleges across the country and is writing a book on this topic. He said in his research we are the only campers in the United States, so I for one like that distinction and I'll stick with the campers!!!
Back to top Go down
SteveM

Number of posts : 7
Year In School : hahahahaha

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 2:36 pm

I had no idea that we were the only Campers....that's pretty cool. Also, a very interesting idea for a research project.
Back to top Go down
diamonddress

diamonddress

Number of posts : 14
Name : Tracy
Year In School : Senior
Instrument/Section : Clarinet/Drum Major
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 10:09 pm

The Allegany Dragons.

That's what we'll call our Quidditch team.
Back to top Go down
aarontrumbule

aarontrumbule

Number of posts : 25
Name : Aaron
Year In School : Junior
Instrument/Section : Drum Major/Saxophone
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 11:27 pm

THANK YOU MR. WHITE.!!!!!!!! Finally people will know that we arent being rude to anyone, actually we are quite politically correct and not just stereotyping native americans. Rock on Allegany CAMPERS!
Back to top Go down
https://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583533318
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

Number of posts : 35
Name : Chris Moore
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Jul 22, 2007 4:35 am

alcojedimaster wrote:
First Dan, I recommend that you read the history behind the name campers in the book Allegany: Portrait of an American High School. Secondly, at the end of this school year, I got a call at school from a journalist in California who is writing a book on mascots and school nicknames for colleges. He is developing a list of the 100 most unique names/mascots for high schools and colleges across the country and is writing a book on this topic. He said in his research we are the only campers in the United States, so I for one like that distinction and I'll stick with the campers!!!

um...... BURN! Wink
Back to top Go down
saraz.

saraz.

Number of posts : 53
Name : sara
Year In School : freshman
Instrument/Section : clarinet
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 8:41 pm

i think we should be called the allegany pirates or dragons cause thats just funny
Back to top Go down
bkmaslow

Number of posts : 1
Name : Benjamin Maslow
Instrument/Section : Alto Sax
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 9:41 pm

i think we should stick with the campers
it has a history

plus "the campers" have a reputation
Back to top Go down
short1

short1

Number of posts : 10
Name : Kara Short
Year In School : 10th
Instrument/Section : Clarinet
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 9:40 pm

tracyfaery wrote:
The Allegany Dragons.

That's what we'll call our Quidditch team.

haha thats good. and thats cool that we're the only Campers.
Back to top Go down
tleirich

tleirich

Number of posts : 22
Name : Taylor Eirich
Year In School : Freshman
Instrument/Section : Flute
Registration date : 2007-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 1:52 pm

If we DID switch names, I can't imagine how many people would complain. Neutral

(Allegany Pirate's mascot pirat )
Back to top Go down
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 3:01 pm

my high school is george washington and we are the patriots.. i thought it was cool.. we even had coat tails on our band jackets:

Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers Chris_10

but, we weren't even the only patriots in the state.. so, i think campers is cool and unique.. i heard that you all are the campers because soldiers camped up on that hill in during the revolutionary war.. i think that's what he said.. i might have gotten it completely messed up.. not sure where the indians come in.. maybe it was the indians that camped there.. maybe it was the french and indian war, or the civil war....
Back to top Go down
Footie

Footie

Number of posts : 63
Name : Zach Foote
Year In School : Sophmore
Instrument/Section : Tuba/Trombone

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 7:15 pm

yeah, thats what i heard too
Back to top Go down
alcojedimaster

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 10:08 pm

OK Kids, here is the history lesson. Allegany High School has not always been located on Sedgwick Street. Eighty years ago it was on Greene Street and before that it was on Union Street and it even was located on Maryland Ave. way back in the day. The Indian comes from the Greene Street location, when they were designing the first yearbooks for ALCO they decided to call it Allegewi, which is the Indian word of Allegany (btw, it means, fairest stream betweeen mountains, or most bountiful river) This is where the Indian comes from: it represents our name, because Allegany comes from an Indian word. Now the Camper comes from the current location of our school. Our campus sits on a site that was a military camp during the Civil War and was called Campobello. Hence if you were a Union Soldier stationed in Cumberland during the Civil War, you would have either been a Camper (from Campobello) or a Hillian (from Fort Hill) Why they are the Sentinals I don't know, seems stranger than us being the campers, because a Sentinal the way they dipict it has nothing do to with the civil war. Anyway, that is the history lesson for tonight... See you all in Band.
Back to top Go down
aarontrumbule

aarontrumbule

Number of posts : 25
Name : Aaron
Instrument/Section : Drum Major/Saxophone
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 2:05 pm

chris, the Indian appeared at somepoint in the yearbook. Over the course of Allegany's long 120 year history, we hae made it our mascot. It just kinda stuck.
Back to top Go down
https://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583533318
nell

nell

Number of posts : 2
Name : Chanel
Year In School : 10
Registration date : 2007-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Aug 05, 2007 1:17 am

personally i like our name. The campers is special and strong like us. if we werent the campers then we wouldnt appear as strong in my opinion. The campers has to deal with the war and indians from way back in the day. well think about it.... the indians had to be strong to survive in the harshest conditions. also the soldiers had to be strong to fight and conquer. they may not have one but they sure tried thier hardest and in my opinion isnt that what being in the band is all about. trying your hardest, maybe canquering a "battle" or two, and going through things maybe others dont. {for example our 9-9 days in like 100 degree weaher}
not many kids are willing to go through a camp like that or be in freezing cold weather just to do something they love. if it hits over thier limit they quit or start to slow down. so personally if we are strong enough to survive that and work hard for what we want then why shouldnt we be named the camper..?.
Back to top Go down
Chris

Name : Chris Logsdon
Year In School : Sophomore
Instrument/Section : Sax
Registration date : 2007-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyTue Aug 07, 2007 2:11 pm

i agree with mr. white in the sense that a unique and novel name is the way to go. however, when i hear alco campers i think of a bunch of unbathed people eating beans out of a can. so in the spirit of uniquness i say our mascot should be ronald reagan Very Happy
Back to top Go down
diamonddress

diamonddress

Name : Tracy
Year In School : Senior
Instrument/Section : Clarinet/Drum Major
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 10:58 pm

No, absolutely not.
I will not hear of it.
Back to top Go down
nell

nell

Number of posts : 2
Name : Chanel
Year In School : 10
Registration date : 2007-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Chris wrote:
i agree with mr. white in the sense that a unique and novel name is the way to go. however, when i hear alco campers i think of a bunch of unbathed people eating beans out of a can. so in the spirit of uniquness i say our mascot should be ronald reagan Very Happy

you can have your point on how you see the name campers...

but why ronald regan??

affraid
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 8:17 pm

nell wrote:
Chris wrote:

you can have your point on how you see the name campers...

but why ronald regan??

affraid

because he was AMAZING
Back to top Go down
alcojedimaster

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 9:03 pm

Ahhh, To have not lived through the 1980's, it must seem like a glorious decade.
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 11:23 pm

alcojedimaster wrote:
Ahhh, To have not lived through the 1980's, it must seem like a glorious decade.

It was. A kick-butt-non pansy- Amerrrica, spandex, an MTV that actually played music, and the invention of diet coke. Add those all together and stir and you get one dominant decade.
Back to top Go down
Mister PEB

Mister PEB

Number of posts : 42
Name : Matthew Haworth
Instrument/Section : Battery Percussion- Tenor Drum
Registration date : 2007-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySat Aug 11, 2007 12:19 am

Whenever I hear about how great a president Ronald Reagen was, I'm overcome with the giggles. You know was a REALLY good president? Jimmy sodding Carter, that's who. He gets such a bad rap, it's terrible. I mean, look what happened during his time in office! Two Star Wars movies; the establishment of full diplomatic relations with China; Jupiter's rings are discovered; China lifts its bans on Shakespeare, Dickens, Aristotle. Who was Reagen? An ACTOR! And now people want to amend the Constitution so Ahnold can be the president. What a travesty.

And really, Chris. Spandex? Spandex and 'non-pansy' are mutually exclusive. Except in the case of Billy Idol. Though I believe he was more the tight leather kind of guy. But the point is that he could TOTALLY pull it off.

Last edited by on Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Footie

Footie

Number of posts : 63
Name : Zach Foote
Year In School : Sophmore
Instrument/Section : Tuba/Trombone

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySat Aug 11, 2007 11:10 am

wow matt, you know your stuff.
Back to top Go down
Ryan/Mike/Whatever

Ryan/Mike/Whatever

Number of posts : 10
Name : Ryan DeVore
Year In School : Freshman
Instrument/Section : Baritone
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 10:34 pm

Well actually, we are one of the lucky schools.
Most highschools that have native americans as mascots have had to change becuase it is considered offensive.
I still think campers is a pretty dumb name for our mascot though.

Last edited by on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 11:23 pm

alcojedimaster wrote:

i lived through half of it! (although i was in diapers for some of that.. haha)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers   Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers Empty

Back to top Go down

Why we shouldn't be the Allegany Campers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next