Allegany High School Band Student Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Allegany High School Band Student Forum

Cumberland, Maryland

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Band Camp (Hornline)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

Number of posts : 35
Name : Chris Moore
Instrument/Section : Staff
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Band Camp (Hornline) Empty
PostSubject: Band Camp (Hornline)   Band Camp (Hornline) EmptyWed Jun 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Okay, so.. I marched DCI for three years, and the staff who marched will attest to most of this I'm sure. The following is a list of stuff that the hornline should have for band camp:

BRING:

- A backpack - Very important when moving all the following stuff from rehearsal to rehearsal.

- Sunscreen - At least 30 SPF recommended.

- Water jug - At least a half gallon. Keep it full. The goal here is to "gush and go." Run off the field, gush, and go back to your spot to await instructions. This time saved ADDS UP!

- Three ring binder with clear plastic slips to insert music. A pencil pouch and some pencils are also highly recommended..

- Dot Book - Band Camp (Hornline) BfPmvkG2HRSh47Xy89Scx_EFWZ1LPRte I like the 2 ring binder type that is about 6 inches across. It's pretty small, fits pre-punched note cards in it. You'll also need a shoe string or something similar to tie it around your waste with. There are some of these at staples...

- DCT Band Camp (Hornline) 182651 - Daily Conditioning Treatment, for lips (made by Blistex). Comes in a little pinkish, round container. It contains sun screen and is widely used by drum corps. They are really easy to lose, so buy a few.

- A hat (or visor).. I wore a visor one year, and my hair turned blonde.. Be careful of sunburns on the top of your head, though!

- Sunglasses (optional). Some people don't like them because it impairs peripheral vision..

- Tennis shoes (you are going to be on your feet A LOT).. if you wear sandals to rehearsal.. well, you don't wanna know what we'll do to you.

- Goldbond - Band Camp (Hornline) Gold_Bond_Triple_Action_Medicated_Body_Powder-resized200 although i never used it much (i preferred cortaid), my friends that i marched with couldn't have done it without goldbond powder. after marching all day for a week, you get some chaffing.. so trust me, you're going to want something to take care of it. my friend andy apllied goldbond on every water break!

- Brass must wear white gloves.. see steve's comment below..

- Oh ya, one more thing... your INSTRUMENT, and everything related to it! Valve oil, reeds, neck strap, mouthpiece, etc.

DON'T BRING:
- Baggy pants or jeans. If it is cold enough, you can wear warm pants, just make sure they aren't baggy. We want to be able to see your legs to fix technique.

- Sweatshirts.. bring but don't wear unless it gets cold enough.

- Carmex - This stuff will BURN THE CRAP out of your lips. DCT has sunscreen in it.

- Soda (pop) - Remember, more AIR, more WATER. Drink Gatorade and other similar drinks sparingly.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it! Don't wait till the night before the camp to start getting this stuff!

Last edited by on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 pm; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
SteveM

Number of posts : 7
Year In School : hahahahaha
Registration date : 2007-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Band Camp (Hornline)   Band Camp (Hornline) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2007 12:02 pm

Great list Chris.

I would only supplement with the following:

All members of the hornline are required to wear white gloves at every rehearsal. These can be purchased at Ott's. See Mr. Jackson as he may have some as well. You will likely only need one to two pair of gloves for performances during the season, but you will probably go through many more than that during the course of band camp and into fall practices.

Plus, even though band camp does not start until late July, start getting used to spending some time outside every day. While I have no unrealistic expectations, you will want to be in the best shape possible to get through summer practices, where during the 9-9's you will be outside for the better part of 8-9 hrs every day. I'm not asking you to train for a marathon, but don't sit around in your air conditioning all summer long and then expect to have an easy go of it during the three weeks of camp.

Have a safe and happy summer!

Steve
Back to top Go down
Chris Moore
Admin
Chris Moore

Number of posts : 35
Name : Chris Moore
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Band Camp (Hornline)   Band Camp (Hornline) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2007 6:38 pm

yay gloves.. i didn't know if you all used gloves in rehearsal.. we always did..

ya, running is key; doesn't have to be far! i know that i will want to run with you all every day, but i'm not sure if that will happen. with the kinds of shows you do, the better in shape you are, the better you will SOUND. think about it...
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Number of posts : 22
Name : Dan Kimble
Year In School : Senior - College
Registration date : 2007-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Band Camp (Hornline)   Band Camp (Hornline) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2007 8:48 pm

Absolutely agree. In shape bands win championships.

The list that Chris typed above is 100%, without-a-doubt, the quintessential breakdown of the equipment EVERYONE will need to accomplish the goals we have as a high-caliber marching ensemble. But remember...this equipment will only get you so far. Dedication, drive, hard work, and a great attitude are also extremely important for this group. You are an award-winning marching band because of the work that takes place in rehearsals, not because of past trophies or because of the name "Allegany".

Enjoy your summer and be ready to take this season by storm! See you all in August!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dcifan04
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Band Camp (Hornline)   Band Camp (Hornline) Empty

Back to top Go down

Band Camp (Hornline)
Page 1 of 1